The New York Times + FX TV "The Weekly" Episode on Owner-Driver Crisis Airs Tonight!
The special episode of the New York Times new TV series, The Weekly, on the owner-driver crisis airs tonight at 10PM!
Brokers and banks charged high mortgages, took interest-only payments, didn't lower payments or forgive loans even when yellow cab bookings fell by 40%. Officials at SEVEN government agencies - city, state and federal - closed their eyes to the drivers' struggle, set the medallion price at $850,000 in 2014, counted their money, let into the industry with no regulations Wall Street financed companies with deep wealth out to destroy drivers' full-time jobs, and then went to work for Uber and Lyft.
You can access the Go Fund Me pages of two NYTWA Members featured in The New York Times investigation by clicking on the links for Mohammed Hoque and Mohammad Hossain!
The owner-drivers story is a look into the story of all drivers. Come together as one and all. We are going to win our Debt Forgiveness Campaign and our Protect our Full-Time Jobs Campaign with raises for all. Stand together. We have the momentum.
DEBT FORGIVENESS CAMPAIGN DEMANDS:
1) Set market value of medallion and forgive any loan balance above that value.
2) Cap medallion mortgage payments at $900/month.
3) Stop the Lending Abuse.
4) Exempt yellow taxis from the $2.50 congestion pricing surcharge.
5) Establish one minimum metered rate of fare across the entire industry so all drivers can get a raise.
6) Give all drivers a modest fare increase so incomes can go up.
7) Establish a retirement fund so that drivers can retire with dignity, and a payout to those whose retirement was lost when the medallion crashed.
ALL Drivers Unity Campaign Demands!
1. Stop the Upfront Pricing Scam by Uber, Lyft and E-hail Vendors where passengers pay more but drivers earn less!
2. Guarantee 85% of the Passenger Fare to App Drivers! The Minimum Wage should be the minimum drivers are paid - as fares go up, drivers have the right to earn more!
3. Pay App Drivers NYC Rates for Out-of-Town Jobs!
4. Cap FHV Vehicle Financing and Lease Rates!
5. STOP Deactivations without notice, cause, or appeal!
6. Protect the Vehicle Cap! No returning to endless number of cars!
7. Stop Congestion Pricing on yellows and greens!
8. One Minimum Rate of Fare Across the Industry so no company can charge less and ALL Drivers can get a raise!
9. Debt Forgiveness for Struggling Owner-Drivers Now!
And of course, see you on Tuesday in Albany: Meet at 10:30am at the New Baltimore Service Area between Exits 21B and 22 on the North Bound NYS Thruway!