Dear Driver Brothers & Sisters:
You have our hearts. We have your backs. If you are feeling depressed please know that you are not alone.
Suicide Prevention Lifeline is
1-800-273-TALK (8255) or contact the Crisis Text Line by texting TALK to 741-741.
There are resources to help with evictions & bankruptcies. We we will fight for you. This is why NYTWA exists. We are together.
31-10 37th Avenue, Suite 300
Long Island City, NY 11101
Open: Mon to Fri, 12pm-8pm
(718) 706-9892 or firstname.lastname@example.org
N/Q train to 36th Ave or R to 36 St.
Taxi Stands: 37th Ave, north side, bet. 32nd & 31st Streets; 31st St, east side, bet. 38th Ave & 37th Ave; 31st St, east side, bet. 37th Ave & 36th Ave; & 34th St, bet. 38th & 37th Ave.
Parking Garage: After 6pm, in our building.
1. Cap the number of vehicles & Don't replace diamonds as part-timers expire!
2. Require App companies to use the regulated taxi meter as the MINIMUM rate of fare! So no company can go lower and ALL Drivers - yellow, green, black, App - can benefit from a raise. AND THEN Enact an immediate raise: $2.60 drop; $3.25 per mile; JFK flat to $62.
3. Regulate Companies that lease or finance FHV cars: $350 per week cap for weekly leases; $275 per week (and no more than $42,900 in total) for lease to buy financing
4. Require App drivers get at minimum 80% of whichever fare is higher (the Upfront Pricing rate or the Uber/Lyft meter rate) On group rides: 80% Fare + $1 for each additional pick up
5. Program for Yellow Cab Medallion Owner-Drivers struggling with expenses as much as $6,000/month with 80% of loans under water. The city can call on lenders to lower interest rates and extend payments, waive licensing fees and find emergency grants to avoid foreclosures and bankruptcies. The Council must also establish a commission to oversee predatory lending and stop inflated values.
6. Cap TLC fines (no more than $400 per violation or $800 per incident or hearing) and put an end to suspensions/revocations at the same time as fines!
7. Fees on the App companies, not on App drivers! Council FHV Committee Chair Ruben Diaz said he will amend $2,000/yr & the 1 App requirement. Amended bill not published yet.
8. No Congestion Pricing on Drivers' backs! In the midst of this crisis, Albany passed a Congestion Pricing plan lobbied for by Wall Street. It's aimed at further destabilizing the taxi industry that has contributed over $1 billion toward the MTA since 2009 and rewarding Uber, Lyft business model that takes aim directly at mass transit.
9. Health and Benefits Fund, including retirement for all drivers.
NYTWA has also filed a Petition to TLC to get all drivers a raise ($4,000-$10,000/year on average) and first-time protections for App drivers. See our full proposal below to PROTECT OUR FULL-TIME JOBS!
Copyright © 2015 New York Taxi Workers Alliance (NYTWA)